Sunday, June 7, 2009

Round DOS

Yesterday was the second year that I played in the Hansford Hospice Tournament with my grandad.  The first year we played was a little of a rough start, we got next to last, it was about 95 outside, and blowing that same amount.  I JUST WANTED TO BE DONE.

Well.....ROUND TWO. Was about the same.  I had been practicing the week before, so that maybe my Grandad and I wouldn't get next to last.  But, we got out there and the wind was once again blowing about 85, and it was hotter than hades.  And, for some reason the people in charge at the golf course decided it would be a good idea to pair us with a group that both partners were over 80, and the 3rd group of what you could call "somewhat beginners." Soooo basically this means we were the SLOWEST group out there by a LONGSHOT.   

By about whole 7, my patience were running thin...it is hard to explain exactly how my grandad has come to play golf, but the majority of it involves driving around looking for his ball, picking up stray balls, taking excess practice swings, or even picking up all the spare trash blowing around the course.  To say the least....it takes a while to get from the tee box, to the green.  

When I got home last night, after 7 1/2 hours of golf, I started thinking to myself that even though I had just played the longest game of golf both physically and mentally, I was lucky to get to do so.  Most kids my age don't have the kind of relationship with their grandparents like I do.  Most kids my age don't have an 83 year old grandad who can even still physically play 18 holes of golf.  And most kids my age don't understand how these moments that we are blessed with from these people do not last for forever.  So after all my frustrations, and trying my patience all day.  I realized....that none of that matters.  I am truly blessed that I even have a grandad who WANTS to play golf with his 19 year old grandaughter for 7 1/2 hours.  I am blessed to have a grandad that is still alive and active.  

And  I am blessed for the memories that I got to make with him yesterday! I have realized, that time and making memories  are two things you can never take for granted because you never know when they might not be there.  So to my Grandad (whom will never read this blog) ....I am looking forward to ROUND THREE :)) 

No comments:

Post a Comment