Thursday, April 23, 2009

Softly Call The Muster.....

If you would have asked me a year ago if I thought I'd ever be an Aggie, my automatic response would have been heck no. Ask me today, and my answer is heck yes! I thought an Aggie was a loud, pushy, weird person, that is all about goofy traditions, but the truth is that until you are one you can not understand what it really is to be a part of the Aggie family.

On Tuesday night I attended Muster, which is one of the most valued traditions here at A&M and after the ceremony I understand why. Muster is a ceremony held once a year all over the world and Aggies gather together to honor those who have passed in the past year. There is a list of names that is read off, and as each name is called someone says "here." It signifies that once you have passed, you are still an Aggie, and there will still be someone here to stand for you.

The list of names started with my class of 2012 and went all the way to the class of 1938. It was EVERY Aggie that had died in this last year, and EVERY name had someone that was there for them. It is a great feeling to know that even when I die, I will still be a part of something that is bigger than myself.

One of the things that probably really made my first Muster experience above the normal was the fact that George H.W. Bush was in my section sitting about 2 rows in front of me. He was there with all of his secret service, Mrs. Bush, and Mrs. Gates. He stood and sang the Star Spangled Banner, even though he had a tough time getting up and down from his chair. He stood for the 21 gun salute, and teared up as the list of names was being read. He did not attend Texas A&M, but he is proud Aggie. It was amazing to me that someone as important as him, would sit among the students, and put aside his fame to honor something that he considers to be bigger.

No matter how big or how small the person, at one point we all have to face the end....and I am happy to know that when that time comes for me there will still be thousands of Aggies left to stand for me.



---"We gather today, Aggies all, to recall our past, to strengthen our ties, to honor those who have passed before us....We come today to affirm our commitment, our love for this place and all that it represents."
Jack M. Rains, Muster Speaker 1984

No comments:

Post a Comment